In this article, I am going to explain how to create dropdown list in excel. These are also called data validation lists and we can see when we click on this cell here we get this little dropdown icon next to the cell, and when we click on that we get all these different choices to choose from and when we choose one of those that entry will be input into the cell. So in this article, I am not only going to explain how to create the dropdown list but also I will share how to color those dropdown cells.
How to create dropdown list in Excel
So let’s take a look at how to create this. The first we will be work on this column here we just have these values of red, blue and green. I am using WPS office for this tutorial purpose, but you can use the same process for your application or software: MS Office, Google Sheet, Microsoft Excel, etc.
1. Just select the cell where you want to add dropdown options.
2. Then go to the Data tab on the top ribbon and then there is a data validation button, click on it.
3. This is a split button and we are going to click the top half of the button that will open the data validation window.
4. On the Settings tab, we have under the allow dropdown we are going to choose list so this will create your dropdown list.
5. We can just type values in the box that are comma-separated or if you want to add a long list
6. Finally, we will see, we have the dropdown list or the icon added right of the cell.
The benefits of using the dropdown list in excel
There are a lot of benefits of using a dropdown list in excel or spreadsheet. Some of the advantages are given below:
- It is easier for the user to choose an option rather than type value into a cell.
- The options in the list give the user a clue about the values, that are allowed or expected.
- Save valuable time and reduce work.
- It reduces mistakes that the user could makes.
- You can make the list dynamic by populating it with options from different cells or sheets elsewhere in the workbook.
How To Color Those Dropdown Cells:
Now let’s move on how to color those dropdown list. The step by step process is given with pictures.
1. Just select the cell where you want to add colors.
2. Then go to the Home tab on the ribbon and then there is a conditional formating button, hover on it.
3. CLick on Highlight the cell rules, and then The text contains.
4. Select the format or color that you want to change or you can use custom color or format for the text.
5. For custom color or format, select the custom color option.
6. Now go to the Patterns tab and select color for your text, then click on OK.
5. Finally, you get the result.